Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Hopping on a float in the parade of life

Someone asked me recently "if life is a parade, why would someone want to hop onto your float?"  HUH? I was struck dumb which may have been the desired effect.  I not only couldn't come up with an answer to the question, I got all caught up and nervous about what my float would look like, and would it have to be visible to other people, was it going to be graded, etc....  I remember stammering and trying to organize my thoughts quickly enough to come up with some clever, self-deprecating response.  Nothing.  The person asked me to just think about it for a while and get back to him. 
Having considered the question for almost two weeks now, I am still at a bit of a loss.  If life is a parade... Well, I guess it sort of is. Everyday you get out and march into the world to do your thing, whatever it is, being who you are. Maybe the better question is "if life is a parade, why would I want to stay on my own float?"  I've spent a good deal of time in this parade jumping off my float and pretending I'm embarrassed by it, feeling like it isn't really all that and being grateful when I'm invited to hop on someone else's float.  On other's floats I have invariably found that what looks very attractive and inviting before I hop on turns out to be a artful, carefully constructed facade .  When you're up there, you see all the glue, feathers and crepe paper, all the underpinnings that help produce the desired effect.  I'm sure my float is no different to others up close.
When I make the decision to jump off one of those floats or when I get kicked off or crowded out, I am initially reluctant to get back up on my own.  It seems foreign - all scary and weird and, just like with other people's floats, I am much more aware of all the draping, soft lighting and other screens I've used to create it. It isn't perfect but when I get myself  back on it, I realize it's pretty okay in spite of the visible dents and dings and the attempts to cover them. It's mine and it's home.  I'll have to spend some time thinking about the first question and maybe reflect a bit on who it is I'd like to have hop on my float in the parade of life.

2 comments:

  1. Well. I don't expect you to believe me, but I'm going to go ahead and tell you why I love to hop on your float. That sounds dirty. Anyway.

    You're brilliant. Witty. Engaging and extremely kind. Fun to tickle. Loving and beautiful. Awed by my kids (how could I not appreciate that?).

    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why would you want somebody to hop on your float?

    ReplyDelete